Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Palestinian Idol?


One day after work, we got into the car but didn't immediately start moving. Absorbed in my own thoughts, I missed the first part of the conversation, but when I tuned in, everyone was arguing about going to Bethlehem for something. Mays didn't want to go, and Majd was tired and wanted to take a shower, but finally they convinced her that the shower could wait. They asked if I had my passport, and we were off.

Upon arrival, we wove our way through the crowded streets of downtown Bethlehem. In contrast to my last visit, this time, I saw a city in which people live. The streets were overflowing with people, scarves and all sorts of odds and ends ranging from children's toys to tupperware. I sign caught my eye: “Holy Land Dry Cleaning.” I thought it sounded funny, but it illustrated the reality of Bethlehem; in spite of its holy history, it is also a modern city in which people go about their daily lives. As we navigated the narrow streets full of apartments, shops and pedestrians, we suddenly came face to face with a looming 25-foot wall of dark grey cement—a piece of the separation wall. In Bethlehem, it literally cuts right through the city. Then we turned corner and the wall disappeared.

The event, I was told, was some sort of singing contest. We stepped off the ancient cobbled street into a clean, air conditioned building. Downstairs, a stage was set up with a large sound system and several cameras, and several screens. As the crowd settled, the host, with meticulously styled hair and wearing a shiny dress, got up on stage and welcomed us, announcing the contestants who would be singing. One by one, they each sang a song, and were critiqued by three judges sitting below—two Palestinians and one American, who offered his comments in English.

After each judge had spoken, the host explained how to text in to vote for the contestant, and as numbers applying to cell providers all over the Arab world flashed up on the screen, I realized that this was most likely going up on international TV.

Palestinian audiences are nearly always enthusiastic, and at a few of the concerts I've attended, large groups of people have been outright dancing in the audience. This event was no exception, and everyone was dancing in their seats, clapping along, and shouting cheers for the singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment